About Me

My photo
I am a mommy, scribe, and middle-school English teacher. I am trying to cope with being separated from my beloved. DoUWantMore? email me: theprisonerswife@gmail.com

Twitter Me This...

Subscribe to this blog

 Subscribe in a reader




Get TPW in your inbox!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Add to Technorati Favorites

Follow Me, You KNow You Wanna...

A Little Self-Promotion

Posted by the prisoner's wife On 12:00 AM

(photo cred: JanBurke.com)

The internets have opened up a lot of opportunities for me and after attending this year's BlogHer conference and meeting so many women who are just DOIN' IT, I feel compelled to.do.something.

It's easy for me to procrastinate. For me, procrastination is like breathing, I do it automatically. So to step up and put myself (and my words) out there is kinda scary. But in the spirit of trying new shit, I'm kicking procrastination aside (for now lol) and getting my productive groove on.

Last week, I shot Susan of Color Online a message asking if she would like me to write a book review for her site. Color Online is a very popular book site that focuses on authors of color, and I've been looking for ways to expand my writing. I love reading and I love great fiction, so writing about things I love come natural to me. Thankfully, she was happy to have me write a review, so be on the look out for my review of Carleen Brice's second novel, Children of the Waters.

Another step of faith I've taken (I'm telling y'all, it was a productive day), was to reach out to a FABULOUS woman I met during BlogHer. She runs a site for hip black women and I noticed that, despite having several contributors, she was the one doing most of the writing. I figured, a busy sista like her MUST be tired (or up all night), so I shot her a tweet and asked if she needed writers. To my surprise, she was open to me writing for her site and so I'll be contributing really soon. (But this brings up a whole other can of worms: do I break out of my anonymity and write under my government name? I will explore this in another post. Stay tuned).

As the old saying goes, a closed mouth won't get fed. Far too long I've had ideas, wanted to do things but failed to just open my mouth and ASK for opportunities. No mas! I'm tired of cluttering my mind with shoulda, woulda, couldas that lead to nothing but self doubt and regret.

Even though I'm about to go back to work in a month, that doesn't mean I have to put my own personal goals on the back burner. I've been saying--for the longest--that I want to earn a living writing. I want to be able to work from home, be there for my son, and do what I love most: write. It's not gonna be easy to fulfill my dreams, but it's certainly not impossible. A little more hustle, and perhaps a little less sleep, and I'll get there.


One last note of self-promotion...

Tomorrow evening ( Thursday, August 6th @ 8pm EST/5pm PST) you can catch me chatting it up with Ananda Leeke on her radio show, "Sisterhood, the Blog Radio," talking about my experiences at this year's BlogHer conference, my definition of sisterhood, and what inspires me. Please listen, call in, comment, and show her (and me!) some love. {listen to the show HERE}


~~
What is ONE thing you'd like to accomplish today, this week, this year?
Have you stopped living in the land of shoulda, woulda, couldas & stepped out to do what you want to do?
Got an interesting post or project? Drop a link in the comments section so we can check it out
!

7 Response to 'A Little Self-Promotion'

  1. Ananda Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/08/little-self-promotion_06.html?showComment=1249567941682#c277300259717906055'> Thursday, August 06, 2009 7:12:00 AM

    WOW. Great news! Keep stepping out. You are an amazing writer, woman, and spirit. I affirm your dreams and journey to being all you were made to be. Talk to you this evening on Sisterhood, the Blog Radio. Many blessings, Ananda

     

  2. Pamela Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/08/little-self-promotion_06.html?showComment=1249570756141#c5421519492336105250'> Thursday, August 06, 2009 7:59:00 AM

    That's great that you're stepping out. Your writing is evocative.

    My goal for today is small and enormous: to get five sets of sheets washed and back on the beds.

    My month/year goal is to get my babywearing store up and running, and to promote the hell out of it.

    Good luck!

     

  3. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/08/little-self-promotion_06.html?showComment=1249575436446#c4555253820473248268'> Thursday, August 06, 2009 9:17:00 AM

    Ananda: thank you so much for being a long-time reader and always being positive & supportive!

    Pamela: the laundry is HUGE. presently i'm staring at 2 baskets that i wish would just wash themselves! and Good luck w/ the store! please send a link/email/shout out when it's open.

     

  4. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/08/little-self-promotion_06.html?showComment=1249576783324#c160043538007449719'> Thursday, August 06, 2009 9:39:00 AM

    So delighted that you are getting out there and showing the world what we already know - you're fabulous!

    I'm decluttering today - believe me, it is LONG overdue!

    Here's to your success!

     

  5. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/08/little-self-promotion_06.html?showComment=1249580035481#c3642373571395822329'> Thursday, August 06, 2009 10:33:00 AM

    Congrats! I continue to be encouraged by all of the great things to come out of BlogHer, especially so many great writers being willing to take more chances.

     

  6. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/08/little-self-promotion_06.html?showComment=1249605137377#c319333634729778239'> Thursday, August 06, 2009 5:32:00 PM

    Congratulations to you!! Damn straight, a closed mouth won't get fed! I love that you took the leap of faith and landed in the clouds. Kudos! I do have an interesting post (at least I think so), about embracing one's fullest self, as you're doing. Check it out: http://tinyurl.com/nagqp9

     

  7. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/08/little-self-promotion_06.html?showComment=1249613122459#c4013118385695015186'> Thursday, August 06, 2009 7:45:00 PM

    Singlemommyhood: thanks! i hope you had success decluttering. that's a process i REALLY need to undertake, but i'm putting it off LOL

    Amelia: wasn't it great? i'm so happy to have had the opportunity to connect to great women, like yourself.

    Execumama thanks for the congrats. it aint much, but it's a start. everything needs a start. i will check your post out. thanks for sharing the link!