About Me

My photo
I am a mommy, scribe, and middle-school English teacher. I am trying to cope with being separated from my beloved. DoUWantMore? email me: theprisonerswife@gmail.com

Twitter Me This...

Subscribe to this blog

 Subscribe in a reader




Get TPW in your inbox!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Add to Technorati Favorites

Follow Me, You KNow You Wanna...

A Little Link Love

Posted by the prisoner's wife On 1:43 PM

(photo cred: weblogcartoons.com)

If you've been reading this blog lately, you know how much I love Twitter. Every Friday, without fail, Twitter explodes with tons to tweets dedicated to recommending new people to add to your list. Follow Friday is great because it allows you to explore new people that you may have missed before. I love tweet hopping to see if the people I'm following, follow good people too. But I rarely participate in the lovefest. I'm lazy and it's too time intensive (or maybe I'm just REALLY lazy), and I can never narrow down my list to a few. I dig 'em all!

But, in the spirit of Follow Friday, I'm going to highlight a few cool posts around the web that made me think, enraged me, made me laugh, or were just plain ol fun. If you think you've got a great post worth sharing, please leave a comment with a link (but also leave a comment, cuz you don't want to be rude, right? Right!)

And now to the main event....

1) The FreshXPress--Through Twitter, I recently jumped on "The FreshXPress" a blog that tackles Pop culture, politics, love, and everything people want to read. Yesterday I read the post, "Lil’ Wayne,“Whip It Like A Slave,” and the Crisis of Coonery" and counldn't believe what I was reading. I try my hardest NOT to listen to Lil Wayne, just because his annoys the shit out of me, but I couldn't belive he had the AUDACITY to make a song called, "Whip It Like A Slave." For real?

2) Model Minority--My girl M.Dot always comes through with thought provoking posts that make my head hurt (in a good way). In the post, "So Apparently, I'm A Man" she discusses the fact that strong women, who assert themselves and what they want are considered masculine, because those traits (go getters, independent, opinionated) are equated with masculinity. Deep.

3) Slate--I normally don't read Slate too tough, but I saw a link via (you guessed it) Twitter and was completely enthralled in the post, "Does This Purple Mink Make Me Look Gay?" This article tackles the rise of the phrase "no-homo" in hop hop and how it may (or may not) change the way homosexuals are viewed in the culture. Personally, I can't stand the phrase. Many of my students (male and female) have taken to saying it. One student even said, "Can I borrow a pencil? No homo." Who knew pencils were gay? (They do make me happy though. hmm).

4) Green Lite Bites--So I'm trying to eat healthy again. I'm cooking more & eating out less. But sometimes I get bored with what I'm making and need some inspiration. I usually paruse AllRecipies.com, but the other day I stumbled on Green Lite Bites and found myself drooling. The dishes Roni cooks up look so good! If you're a foodie (or you just want something else to cook besides black beans and rice *raises hand*), check it out.

5) Aliya S. King--Ok, so I admit it. I'm not perfect! *gasp* But neither are most people. Aliya's post, "The Guilty Admission: I suck. That is All." was a funny look at how a writer/mommy/wife tries to manage it all. I found myself nodding at her lack of domestic mastery. I'm sure some of you will be able to relate!


bonus:
the other day i mentioned Ananada Leeke and I would be discussing our experiences at this year's BlogHer conference on her radio show, "Sisterhood, The Blog Radio". If you missed the live broadcast, I'm bringing it to you here. Enjoy!



Got a link in need of some love? Leave a comment in the comments section!

2 Response to 'A Little Link Love'

  1. Anonymous Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/08/little-link-love.html?showComment=1249874121073#c6382938928356271450'> Sunday, August 09, 2009 8:15:00 PM

    Dope post! And not just cause I'm getting some link love! I need to check out the piece on the 'no homo' phenomena which is driving me nuts. (no homo). HA

     

  2. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/08/little-link-love.html?showComment=1249880550736#c7148611156921271908'> Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:02:00 PM

    thanks Aliya! I adore your site & what you're doing over there. the No-Homo piece struck an accord because I'm tired of hearing it. Like for real, for real!