About Me

My photo
I am a mommy, scribe, and middle-school English teacher. I am trying to cope with being separated from my beloved. DoUWantMore? email me: theprisonerswife@gmail.com

Twitter Me This...

Subscribe to this blog

 Subscribe in a reader




Get TPW in your inbox!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Add to Technorati Favorites

Follow Me, You KNow You Wanna...

Throwback Thursdays: 29-inch Pythons

Posted by the prisoner's wife On 10:25 AM
Throwback Thursdays: 29-inch Pythons




In my neighborhood in the '80s a few things made you a star. A fly haircut (or an especially curly jeri curl), a rag-top mustang with gold daytons, an ill crack game, the latest jordans, and a snake wrapped precariously around your neck.

I never understood the obsession with dudes and deadly snakes around their necks, but whenever a guy would walk down the block with his gold and black python on his shoulders, we'd all run up to see it. It was like being at the circus, but better. It was so close. And at any moment this snake could strangle the life out of dude or jump up and choke the neighborhood bully, who you hated anyway. We wanted to see some tricks. Would the snake dance to music like they did on tv? Somebody blasted a song from a boombox, but the snake didn't move. Tongues slithered. And our nine year old selves were amazed.

On the way to work this morning I saw two guys with snakes around their necks. I was shocked. I thought this practice had died out with Cube's curl, but there they were. Strutting down Fig with two big yellow and black pythons around their neck. And despite being 26 and very grown and late for work...I wanted to run up and touch it. Just to see.




Related Tags: , , , , ,

1 Response to 'Throwback Thursdays: 29-inch Pythons'

  1. Jacob Mathai Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2006/05/throwback-thursdays-29-inch-pythons.html?showComment=1148642400000#c114864242637676300'> Friday, May 26, 2006 4:20:00 AM

    I must admit -when I used to see people on the subways with exotic pets (snakes etc) - I could'nt help but take a look too!