About Me

My photo
I am a mommy, scribe, and middle-school English teacher. I am trying to cope with being separated from my beloved. DoUWantMore? email me: theprisonerswife@gmail.com

Twitter Me This...

Subscribe to this blog

 Subscribe in a reader




Get TPW in your inbox!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Add to Technorati Favorites

Follow Me, You KNow You Wanna...

blogging from the classroom

Posted by the prisoner's wife On 2:54 PM

(one of the walls in my classroom)


there are 17 days left in the school year (!!!). i have been counting down since day 34. each day my students are itching for me to change the amount of days, and to be honest, so am i.

with each day that falls away from the calendar, i am one step closer to summer. one step closer to hanging out w/ my son. one step closer to seeing (hugging.kissing.holding beloved!), and one step closer to NOT having to wake up at 5:45am.

i'm SO tired

i'm exhausted. teaching has been the most difficult experience of my life. this year has felt like THE longest year of my life. these kids--my kids--ask (demand) for every ounce of energy i have. i leave here feeling tired, drained, but not completely "out of it." my coworker next door says that your first year is all about endurance & survival...and he continues to say that "you just have to think the kids are funny." when he first said that, i thought he was loosing his mind. afterall, he has been teaching for quite awhile (and had just got several teeth knocked out playing softball--crazy!), so i attributed it to burn-out. but he has a point. if i couldn't sit back and laugh at all of my kid's quirks (and manish ways), i'd drive myself crazy.

this year i strived to teach my kids how to be better writers & open them up to new things. i'm not sure how much i've succeeded, but i know where I went wrong, and where i can improve for next year. being a reflective teacher is key to being a successful teacher.

i have come to the realization that i don't have ANY control over what happens to my students at home, on the schoolyard, or in other classes. all i can control is what happenes in room 234. i want my room to be a shelter, a safe space where they allow themselves to take risks, to learn, and to love learning.

i haven't quite gotten there yet, but soon come.

bless

4 Response to 'blogging from the classroom'

  1. Anonymous Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/05/blogging-from-classroom.html?showComment=1180477860000#c6671529089753421388'> Tuesday, May 29, 2007 3:31:00 PM

    People always tell me that I should be a teacher, but I just don't have the strength or the patience! Hats off to you! Enjoy the summer with your baby boy!

     

  2. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/05/blogging-from-classroom.html?showComment=1180492680000#c8651121927905056451'> Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:38:00 PM

    lyten: i used to say the same thing..."girl, i don't have the patience for those kids!!" but somehow, i wake up every morning and TRY to do the best that i can. i am certainly not the best teacher in the world, but i'm trying to be a good one (maybe even great!)

     

  3. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/05/blogging-from-classroom.html?showComment=1180552680000#c1280354531954295071'> Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:18:00 PM

    I'm loving the new look! By the way, I am looking to head back to the classroom this year. My mind is made up! :) I know you are counting down. Ahhh...the memories. Peace~

     

  4. Ananda Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/05/blogging-from-classroom.html?showComment=1180754580000#c2115075985965147464'> Friday, June 01, 2007 8:23:00 PM

    soulmomma sistalove, your gift of self to your students is incredible. know that you touch your students' lives in ways you may never know. i remember watching my mom as a teacher who would have former students tell me later in life that she made such a big difference in their lives. you are doing such wonderful work. may you find the peace and strength to make it through the final days. enjoy your summer. peace, ananda