About Me

My photo
I am a mommy, scribe, and middle-school English teacher. I am trying to cope with being separated from my beloved. DoUWantMore? email me: theprisonerswife@gmail.com

Twitter Me This...

Subscribe to this blog

 Subscribe in a reader




Get TPW in your inbox!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Add to Technorati Favorites

Follow Me, You KNow You Wanna...

Let's Face It, We're Broke

Posted by the prisoner's wife On 7:43 PM

Today we had a faculty meeting after school, which aimed to inform us more about the budget cuts, new info from the district, and securing our teaching positions for the fall. As many of you know, as of June 30th, I won't have a teaching position with the district unless they find some money and resend the layoff notices. Until now I have been very lackadaisical about our state's and our country's fiscal crisis. Yes, I'm worried about being unemployed, long term, but I haven't been stressing about it. What can I say? I'm blessed to not allow things stress me out too much, even when everyone around me is going crazy. But today, after Governor Schwarzenegger's speech, and hearing of the drastic cuts he wants to make to our social services and education programs, I'm terrified.

According to the LA Times, the Governor's plan would trigger "a dismantling of the state's CalWorks program, which serves more than 500,000 poor families with children, as well as the elimination of Healthy Families, which provides medical coverage to 928,000 children and teens." Moreover, the Governor's proposed cuts "would save $909 million by eliminating prisoners' substance-abuse counseling, vocational training and educational programs, and commuting the sentences of nonviolent offenders a year early."

Once again, the state's neediest residents--mainly poor women and children--will be deeply effected by the proposed budget cuts. I am always amazed that in the midst of any fiscal crisis, when people are in need the most, states scramble to cut services aimed to help people who really need it. Most people hearing the news about California's budget issues have the luxury of watching from the side lines, shaking their head at the loss of jobs and benefits of millions. But it effects me, tremendously. For too long my state and my school district have mismanaged funds, spent beyond their means, and haven't operated with the future in mind. The chickens of fiscal irresponsibility have come home to roost.

For once, I am scared. I'm afraid that my state which houses the 8th largest economy IN THE WORLD, will fail, not only forcing out state into insolvency, but also further tanking the whole US economy. And then where will we be? Fewer social services to depend on, less jobs to go around, less hope, less opportunity. The Golden State's sheen has definitely dulled, and for once, I'm really considering jumping ship before it's too late.

3 Response to 'Let's Face It, We're Broke'

  1. Sista GP Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/06/lets-face-it-were-broke.html?showComment=1244081435531#c9162325475582857122'> Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:10:00 PM

    Sorry that you're facing a layoff. I know (multiples times) how you may be feeling. These are the moments where faith keeps us grounded.

    Be careful about jumping ship, other watercrafts are sinking too and there are sharks in the water.

     

  2. susan Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/06/lets-face-it-were-broke.html?showComment=1244086634657#c7096497293420466381'> Wednesday, June 03, 2009 8:37:00 PM

    Wife,
    I know how you feel. I'm in Michigan. We've been feeling the crisis for awhile. Ask me how many unemployed and underemployed I know. Ask me how it feels to have the least seniority so I'd be the first to go and in Michigan we're already at the highest unemployment.

    Sorry, your post is about your worry. Know that you are not alone and when you need to vent to someone who not only empathizes but is struggling to make it, holla. I'll be listening.

     

  3. CiCiWryter Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/06/lets-face-it-were-broke.html?showComment=1244401675361#c4937404251197068056'> Sunday, June 07, 2009 12:07:00 PM

    I feel you on this one. I jumped ship from Michigan nearly three years ago. I miss my family and so many friends but I'm happy about my decision. I'm trying to convince some other family to seek opportunities elsewhere then maybe we can try to help with the changes that are happening slowly but surely in our home state. The bright spot in all of this economic worry is I think its going to force us to see that we are all in this together and that we have to live as a community and not individuals. Keep your head up cause it's tough everywhere.