About Me

My photo
I am a mommy, scribe, and middle-school English teacher. I am trying to cope with being separated from my beloved. DoUWantMore? email me: theprisonerswife@gmail.com

Twitter Me This...

Subscribe to this blog

 Subscribe in a reader




Get TPW in your inbox!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Add to Technorati Favorites

Follow Me, You KNow You Wanna...

I Can Almost Taste It

Posted by the prisoner's wife On 7:55 PM

It's almost here. The end of the school year is only 10 days away! I wish I could fast forward two weeks, but alas, life doesn't work that way. This year has seemed to have lasted forever. Even though the end of the year will most likely bring the end of my job , I'm still so excited. I'm looking forward to the rest, relaxation, and the promise summer brings.

Last Sunday, as I was watching reruns of Girlfriends, I starting thinking of what I'd like to do this summer. One thing that kept popping into my head over and over again was taking a road trip. Those of you who follow my tweets know I asked for advice about road tripping on the west coast. But ever since I first thought about it, it's been on my mind nonstop. Maybe it's the seemingly extra long length of this school year that has me primed to get away or perhaps it's the emotionally draining group of students I've had this year, but I know I need to get out of LA for a bit.

Apparently, I'm not alone. Every travel site I've been to lately has been talking about "The Great American Road Trip." Growing up, we never really went on road trips, unless you can count Las Vegas. But I never fancied the idea of riding in the car for hours on end, staring at the brown, bare landscape outside my window. But as I age, I'm starting to be a little more appreciative of the world outside my window.

This summer, I want to hop in my car and drive the kid up the California Coast. It's a short enough trip that I can get where I want in a day. Hopefully, the shortness of the drive (4 hours) will help me avoid the wrath of a 3-year old and his tantrum. We'll see, but I'm willing to chance it to see something different and have some fun.


What are your favorite road trip memories? What trips do you still want to take?

6 Response to 'I Can Almost Taste It'

  1. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-can-almost-taste-it.html?showComment=1244177007610#c3499164124693073069'> Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:43:00 PM

    I am thinking about a few road trips this summer! Not too far though :) Up and down the eastern seaboard...all of New England atleast :)

    Get out on the highway...looking for adventure...whatever comes your way! Born to be wild...LOL!

     

  2. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-can-almost-taste-it.html?showComment=1244250957577#c1652643850268799064'> Friday, June 05, 2009 6:15:00 PM

    Babz: The eastern seaboard sounds nice. i've never really been to the south, but i've always wanted to go to South Carolina for some reason. i hope you post lots of pics.

     

  3. Sista GP Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-can-almost-taste-it.html?showComment=1244251325166#c1053562037923776832'> Friday, June 05, 2009 6:22:00 PM

    other than the 5hr drives to Charlotte NC for step-daughter's school, the most recent road trip was for a fam reunion in Austin Tx. The 20hr bus trip started in Savannah, GA.
    Other then son and I sitting below constant dripping condensation from the AC, bus breaking down TWICE. blessingly first at a rest area and second in front of a BBQ restaurant, the only flat surface down a winding hill, the replacement bus home had window at my seat that kept popping open, almost deciding to ride in hubby's truck to picnic since people were giving me grief on the bus I paid for, missed banquet that i paid for cause hubby spent time shuffling folks back from restaurant to hotel since bus broke down and we hadn't eaten till all returned and basically having a breakdown of all this mess in from of mom and aunt on last day, it was a decent trip.

    needless to say, next time i'm driving on my own or flying.

     

  4. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-can-almost-taste-it.html?showComment=1244343193880#c1890991031712491231'> Saturday, June 06, 2009 7:53:00 PM

    My favorite road trip is when my wife and I travel to Carolina. It's always a pleasant trip and we always stop at Cracker Barrel for breakfast. I hope you have a great summer. God bless.

     

  5. SE'LAH... Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-can-almost-taste-it.html?showComment=1244347186324#c8958533753813162972'> Saturday, June 06, 2009 8:59:00 PM

    I love road trips. They are a great way to clear the mind...and they don't have to be long. A change of scenery is wonderfully refreshing.

    Enjoy your summer and the quality time it brings with your little one.

    One Love.

     

  6. CiCiWryter Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-can-almost-taste-it.html?showComment=1244400829773#c3151555523140242560'> Sunday, June 07, 2009 11:53:00 AM

    I love road trips and my daughter asked if we could take one to Florida and since she can drive now she offered to help drive. Driving is cool cause you can stop when you want and you find really interesting, unexpected things along the way. I haven't explored much of Texas since I've been here so I'd like to do that as well. Driving some distance seems to relax me and help me think and brainstorm. When we did road trips when my daughter was younger, we'd leave at night and she slept through a lot of it and I didn't have to hear "are we there yet" the whole way. Looking forward to reading what you discover. Please post pics too!