About Me

My photo
I am a mommy, scribe, and middle-school English teacher. I am trying to cope with being separated from my beloved. DoUWantMore? email me: theprisonerswife@gmail.com

Twitter Me This...

Subscribe to this blog

 Subscribe in a reader




Get TPW in your inbox!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Add to Technorati Favorites

Follow Me, You KNow You Wanna...

Ohm: Meditations On...

Posted by the prisoner's wife On 6:04 AM


Few times in my life have I been completely mesmerized.

In 1999 while channel surfing, I came across this man and his poem on the PBS documentary, “I’ll Make Me a World*”. Saul Stacey Williams completely blew me away. I had never HEARD a poem sound like that before. Never heard a man beat-box in the middle of a stanza. Never heard words strung so dangerously together. Never felt any energy like this from any poem, I’d ever read or studied. I was awestruck.

In an instant, my entire view of poetry changed. Until then, I thought emcees had all the fun. I thought they were the only ones aloud to ride beats with words, but Saul Williams switched up my whole thinking. Soon I began seeking more. Back then, we didn’t have you tube, but the Internet was just starting to be BIG (for me at least), so I searched and searched and found everything I could find that he wrote. Time after time I was blown away, and was sonned by his immense ability to pair word and emotion and my inability to mimic it.

Fueled by this newly discovered muse, I practiced. I wrote. I recited poems, and I found the courage to actually perform in front of groups of people. Until then, poetry was something I did privately. I did not share my words. I did not declare myself a poet. Until then I was stuck, conversing only with myself and my psyche, afraid to share my voice because I thought people wouldn’t get it.

But they did.

And here I am. A degreed writer. A blogger. A poet. I used to be afraid to call myself a writer. I never thought I was worthy of the title, as if writers were only those famous ones we’ve read in English class.

But I am
indeed a writer
living in papyrus
with pen and paper
always within reach

peace.



**If anyone knows how to get a copy of this series (I'll Make Me a World), PLEASE email me. theprisonerswife at gmail dot com. thanks

3 Response to 'Ohm: Meditations On...'

  1. Xave Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2008/04/ohm-meditations-on.html?showComment=1207283760000#c3122597880362439601'> Thursday, April 03, 2008 9:36:00 PM

    Well dayum! That is amazing. See, it's cats like that who make me sit my ass down when there is a call for open mic. But then, I have a voice, my own unique voice and like you, I can say, with pride and conviction, that I am an author, and a poet. So I step up to the mic and...

    Peace and Love,

    Alizé (LoversA.blogspot.com)

    PS: April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). I am PASSIONATE about this issue and I’m determined to do my part to help educate as many people as possible. Please join me in spreading the word. Sexual violence must stop!

     

  2. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2008/04/ohm-meditations-on.html?showComment=1207289820000#c5125536776667334783'> Thursday, April 03, 2008 11:17:00 PM

    Zay: lol@ being afraid at open mics. i feel that man. i was too. isn't it amazing tho? i love saul. he's one of my favorites.

     

  3. Ananda Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2008/04/ohm-meditations-on.html?showComment=1207888680000#c5480832500393677302'> Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:38:00 PM

    hi pw. it has been a minute since i stopped by. i love your blog's new look. thank you for posting brothalove saul's work. i admire him. he inspires. my favorite book of his is she. i am still reading his dead sea scrolls. wonderful work. beauty in words. peace, ananda