About Me

My photo
I am a mommy, scribe, and middle-school English teacher. I am trying to cope with being separated from my beloved. DoUWantMore? email me: theprisonerswife@gmail.com

Twitter Me This...

Subscribe to this blog

 Subscribe in a reader




Get TPW in your inbox!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Add to Technorati Favorites

Follow Me, You KNow You Wanna...

Ah-Ha

Posted by the prisoner's wife On 6:53 PM

teaching does not come easy to me. i'm not a natural teacher. sometimes i struggle to explain difficult and abstract concepts to my students. sometimes i struggle with my (lack of) patience & sarcasm. and sometimes, i just struggle.

today wasn't one of those days. today, my kids "got it," and for the first time, i felt like i was really doing my job.

this year, i am teaching two double-block periods of intervention English. it is a "designed" program (*ehem* scripted) and can be EXTREMELY boring. i am not quite convinced that this program helps my students, but i'm forced to teach it with "fidelity" (the district's most favorite buzz word). today, as we were progressing through the lesson, we were asked to pull the main idea and supporting details from a short, informative paragraph. typically, my students struggle with this and have looked to me to hold their hands. however, with state writing assessments approaching, i have begun to let go and let them solider through these tasks on their own.

during the lesson, i helped them to outline the first bit of information they'd use to write their paragraph, but asked (told! lol) them to do the rest on their own. i was PLEASANTLY surprised when many of my students not only outlined the article correctly, BUT also (and this is the kicker) wrote VERY solid paragraphs!

it sounds extremely unimpressive, but to see my students complete this task CORRECTLY was so exciting. for once i felt like all of our hard work wasn't in vain, and we were really getting somewhere.

days like today renew my spirit. i am hopeful about the coming semester and all of the ah-ha moments that are sure to follow.

3 Response to 'Ah-Ha'

  1. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2008/01/ah-ha.html?showComment=1201804800000#c5950126814744562385'> Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:40:00 AM

    sounds like u are trying and thats means effort. I teach statistics, and its easy when i can get to se its fun nd not hard

     

  2. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2008/01/ah-ha.html?showComment=1201998420000#c4422746677816573768'> Saturday, February 02, 2008 4:27:00 PM

    There will be days when they get--like that day. And there will be days when you will feel as though you were teaching the lesson in chinese. Keep the faith. Teaching is the noblest of professions. The seeds that you are sowing right now will be fully sprouted in years to come. You are doing better than fine.

     

  3. T.a.c.D Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2008/01/ah-ha.html?showComment=1204567080000#c4156145187407100769'> Monday, March 03, 2008 9:58:00 AM

    this sounds VERY impressive to me...i mentor in my other (REAL) life outside of my 9-5 and work with young people to create workshops that they will in turn present to their peers...well long story short, i have the hardest time getting them to read and comprehend...reading comprehension is so very very hard for them...so for your students to GET IT-BRAVO!!!!!

    first time here and i love it!