About Me

My photo
I am a mommy, scribe, and middle-school English teacher. I am trying to cope with being separated from my beloved. DoUWantMore? email me: theprisonerswife@gmail.com

Twitter Me This...

Subscribe to this blog

 Subscribe in a reader




Get TPW in your inbox!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Add to Technorati Favorites

Follow Me, You KNow You Wanna...




1. not having to wake up at 5:45am: i am SO not a morning person, but have been forced to become one in order to earn a living. when i was in NYC i had to be at work at 7am, and would have to be up, out, and on the train before the sun even got up. it sucked getting up so early, but watching the sun break over the river almost made it worth it.

2. being able to watch the today show in its entirety: normally when i hear the Today Show theme music, i know i'm running late. everyday i need to be out of the house before 7am in order to drop the little man off at the sitter & get to work in time to make copies, write the agenda on the whiteboard, and listen to a little music before my students start pounding on my door. being on break allows me time to catch up on all the fashion mistakes, complicated recipes, and the weather reports in my neck of the woods.

3. spending time with my son:
you are probably wondering why this is number 3 on the list. i could have easily made it #1, however, at some point, i want my son to take a nap because i can only watch so many episodes of Thomas & Friends, or read Hop on Pop, or play with the trains. i absolutely LOVE my son, but now i realize that i don't have to have him tied to my hip to be considered a good mom.

4. not having to change out of my PJs:
i confess, i'm lazy...sometimes. i don't like to get dressed up to go into the world everyday. i like the softness and ease of my cotton basketball shorts, or ultra-soft capris. i'd rather be barefoot, in shorts, and a tank-top & lounging around my house than stuffed into a pair of slacks and uncomfortable shoes.

5. unlimited options: this is probably THE BEST thing about being a part-time stay at home mom. if i want to stay home all day & let the munchkin run around the house like a madman, cool. if i want to get us dressed and go to a museum, cool. if i want to walk to Borders and browse for books & let him run around in the kid's section, cool. every decision, every idea, every day trip is possible because i don't have to answer to anyone but myself (and bank of america). whatever we want to do, we can do because i'm the boss. the freedom of being able to plan, or not plan, your day according to YOUR needs is priceless.

when i'm working and my students are driving me crazy and it's march or april or november, i always try to keep my eye on the prize: break! although i can't afford to stay home full time, being able to have a few weeks or months off allows me to experience life on the other side of the mommy coin.

each time i'm off i cherish these days, love the freedom they offer, and long to have them again. hopefully one day my passion will allow me to sustain us financially, and i can officially make the switch from part-time to full-time stay at home mom. until then, i will enjoy my time off while it lasts.

5 Response to '5 things i love about being a part-time stay at home mom or I love Winter Break pt. 2'

  1. christina Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/12/5-things-i-love-about-being-part-time.html?showComment=1197998520000#c5271051117119514680'> Tuesday, December 18, 2007 9:22:00 AM

    I seriously think #4 was meant for me. Mentioning tank tops and bare feet in mid December, while I try and stay warm in the old frozen tundra here!!! :) LOL

    #5 is my favorite! For a minute you made me miss having a little one on my hip.

    How is Bodega dreams so far??

     

  2. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/12/5-things-i-love-about-being-part-time.html?showComment=1198031640000#c959969839987620556'> Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:34:00 PM

    Yes! This time is sweet. You're are missed, over on Morp Confetti, but still thought of. Peace and blessings to you and the little man.

     

  3. faboo mama Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/12/5-things-i-love-about-being-part-time.html?showComment=1198264740000#c412552535882568679'> Friday, December 21, 2007 11:19:00 AM

    That photo just did me in...when I was on bedrest with the kids and when I was on disability a few years ago, I was the same way. I'd just lay there, clicking away..."Hey did you know that the pit for a pig for a luau has to be so deep?" My husband would reply, "You don't eat pork. Turn off the TV."

    I'm with you on #3...Both DH and I work at home and both kids are here with us. Sigh...sometimes we just toss the kids into their room and go outside for beer. Relaxing.

     

  4. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/12/5-things-i-love-about-being-part-time.html?showComment=1198296120000#c5010742370269508977'> Friday, December 21, 2007 8:02:00 PM

    Faboo lol you & your husband have the right idea. i think we're always conditioned that good mothers are always omnipresent, it's nice to know that's it's OK to take a break (and it's needed).

     

  5. Mango Mama Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/12/5-things-i-love-about-being-part-time.html?showComment=1198369980000#c7569233082636104567'> Saturday, December 22, 2007 4:33:00 PM

    Amen! This year I adopted a New Mommy Rule, if the kids are off from school, mommy's off from work. I should have done this from day 1, but I'm a slow learner and adhering to this rule has made a world of difference.