About Me

My photo
I am a mommy, scribe, and middle-school English teacher. I am trying to cope with being separated from my beloved. DoUWantMore? email me: theprisonerswife@gmail.com

Twitter Me This...

Subscribe to this blog

 Subscribe in a reader




Get TPW in your inbox!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Add to Technorati Favorites

Follow Me, You KNow You Wanna...

FUCK THAT: The Media BLACKout

Posted by the prisoner's wife On 8:05 PM


Warning: if you are offended by the n-word & expletives, this post ain't for you. proceed.

BLACK radio is doing it! there is an air of protest and youth-activism that we haven't seen in YEARS. If it weren't for black radio's on air personalities (Michael Baisden, Steve Harvey, and Tom Joyner to name a few) & black bloggers around the globe, many of us would be completely in the dark about the plight of the Jena 6.

I am an avid news/news magazine junkie and I have YET to see a story of substance regarding the Jena 6 on ANY mainstream news outlet. Over the weekend there was a BRIEF story (about 2 minutes) about the Jena 6 on MSNBC because one of the anchors was interviewing Al Sharpton, but other than that...silence.

I am at a loss at why the media chooses to BLACKout the racial issues that continue to plague America. The MSNBC anchor had the audacity to ask Rev. Sharpton if "deep seeded racism" still exists in "pockets" around the country. ummm, HELLO!? sometimes i wonder what planet most white people live on (anybody? explain?). racial inequities continue to exist in the media, in our education system, in our cities, and let's not get me started on the VAST inequalities in the justice system. over 40 years after we marched on Washington, Selma, and Watts...Marvin Gaye (RIP) is still wondering WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?


(phil spector's crazy ass & oj's dumb ass...a media match made in heaven)

The media's lack of coverage is troubling, especially in light of the stories they choose to cover. Michael Vick was all the rage for a while, now it's OJ's turn. *shakes head* I wish OJ would go into a hole and sit down somewhere. this fool, makes Chris Rock's "black people vs. niggas" routine all the more relevant. i'm with Chris...i love black people....but...



I HATE NIGGAS!

and OJ is the coon-ing-ist (yeah, i made that up) ass NIGGA on the block! Damn! even crazy ass Phill Spector, who blew this white chick's brains out, can't even take his shine. OJ has to be fuckin delusional. how a nigga gon' run his own "sting" operation without that shit going awry? how can he NOT realize white people (and now black people) HATE his guts and want to see him wearing prison blues? get ready Orenthal....you're about to be inmate #1234567, a ward of the State of Nevada. bend over, nigga.

*sigh*

i hope i don't sound crazy, i'm just angry. and black. i'm not paranoid either. hundreds of years of oppression have colored my stance on things. being a teacher, a facilitator of young black minds comes with a whole host of responsibilities. i feel as though it is my DUTY to shed light on the plight of our kids. these random news stories are merely distractions. we need to focus our attentions on the Jena 6. many of you probably won't make it to the rally on Thursday (i will be at work telling my students about this), BUT we have been asked (and i am asking you) to wear BLACK on Thursday to show your support for the Jena 6.


(i *heart* mos def & cornell west...preach brovas!)


read up on the plight of the Jena 6, write a check, tell somebody....DO SOMETHING...

please.

9 Response to 'FUCK THAT: The Media BLACKout'

  1. christina Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/09/fuck-that-media-blackout.html?showComment=1190176080000#c6113959107250555735'> Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:28:00 PM

    NOOOOOO Kidding!!! The shit (if I may) is a modern day lynching!!! I have been warning, sorry I mean- teaching my kids about it for the last few weeks. Why is the media ignoring it, well it's obvious, sick and obvious!! We will wear black on Thursday and not let this go with blinders on! Hubbys office is heading down to the rally to show a bit of support. Thanks for getting the word out there my friend.

     

  2. Anonymous Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/09/fuck-that-media-blackout.html?showComment=1190330880000#c3620500026090790729'> Thursday, September 20, 2007 4:28:00 PM

    how about you do something .. STFU

     

  3. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/09/fuck-that-media-blackout.html?showComment=1190332320000#c8333258680457242340'> Thursday, September 20, 2007 4:52:00 PM

    Speak on it sister!

     

  4. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/09/fuck-that-media-blackout.html?showComment=1190340720000#c2532058355874339930'> Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:12:00 PM

    anonymous...

    your ignorance doesn't even warrant a response.

    consider yourself DISMISSED.

     

  5. Unknown Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/09/fuck-that-media-blackout.html?showComment=1191745200000#c835332935261783189'> Sunday, October 07, 2007 1:20:00 AM

    You're making me smile, PW. Oh, how you're making me SMILE! You've been on my blog so you know why I say that! Good work!

     

  6. Anonymous Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/09/fuck-that-media-blackout.html?showComment=1192587240000#c1624488391225993636'> Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:14:00 PM

    Maaaaan, you would not believe how ignorant people are here in Indiana...they pretend like the race thing doesn't exist...using myself as an example...

    I am a plus-sized, attractive black woman. I have been interviewing for jobs, and all the interviews went well. I had the interviewers laughing, and chatting like we were old buddies...BUT...I had braids, and cornrows in my hair. Needless to say, I didn't any of the jobs I interviewed for.

    I took the braids out, and straightened my hair...I got the job (it's work-study, but still).

    It's really sad in this day and age that I was judged on how my hair was styled, moreso then how well I performed on previous jobs.

    Racism may be on the back burner to some, but in reality, it's right in your face.

     

  7. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/09/fuck-that-media-blackout.html?showComment=1193041320000#c5489672920629500963'> Monday, October 22, 2007 1:22:00 AM

    My response top this was so long, I might just use it as a post. Maybe. Definitely got me thinking and writing.

     

  8. Anonymous Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/09/fuck-that-media-blackout.html?showComment=1194454020000#c7957000433460303519'> Wednesday, November 07, 2007 8:47:00 AM

    The way you look when applying for a job is always considered depending on the type of job you apply for whether you are black, white, yellow, brown or red. Not even a point. The point, unless you are being physically hurt violence is never the way to express your hurt, anger, anguish, frustration, or embarrassment. There will always be acts of ignorance & stupidity against all people whether it be race, religion, gender, age or economic standing but let your voice be heard it is your right & this is what we must instill in our children - use your intelligence not your fists. Do yourself & your race a favor stop the negativity - in your words & your actions - what is the purpose of doing all the protesting, marches & boycotts if the respect you long for from others doesn't even come from yourselves?!

     

  9. Anonymous Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2007/09/fuck-that-media-blackout.html?showComment=1199243580000#c5370768373007730689'> Tuesday, January 01, 2008 7:13:00 PM

    [he audacity to ask Rev. Sharpton if "deep seeded racism" still exists in "pockets" around the country. ummm, HELLO!?]

    The phrase is "deep-seated", not "deep seeded". lol