About Me

My photo
I am a mommy, scribe, and middle-school English teacher. I am trying to cope with being separated from my beloved. DoUWantMore? email me: theprisonerswife@gmail.com

Twitter Me This...

Subscribe to this blog

 Subscribe in a reader




Get TPW in your inbox!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Add to Technorati Favorites

Follow Me, You KNow You Wanna...

temper tantrum

Posted by the prisoner's wife On 8:46 AM
temper tantrum


lately my nearly 10-month old son has been acting a bit crazy. he's very smary, knows what he wants, and when he doesn't get it he pitches a little fit. my mother immediately jumps into "oh no he didn't" mode, while i have been pretty lax about it because, after all, he's just a baby, right?

his outburts--flialing his arms, yelling, crying, and hitting the table when he doesn't get his way--have been happening a lot more lately. it's giving me cause for concern. the last thing i want my child to be is one of those white kids who yell at their parents and fall out on the floor at the mall. i ain't going out like that. but how do you let your child grow up and learn how to be himself, but at the same time, set boundaries so he knows how to act?

sometimes i think i'm a little too relaxed, but then again, i'm just learning as i go. the munchkin is the test kid. my first born. the one i try out EVERYTHING on, so when i have other kids i can take what i've learned and apply it to them. besides, it's really too early for spankings and when i say no he just shakes his head no. i want him to be confident, not shy like i was. he's already very smart. he says "hi" and "yeah" and something that sounds very close to "cat." he loves to be outside and just take in the world, looking at everything. his new obsession is with spitting. it's gross, but cute at the same time (and messy when i'm trying to feed him oatmeal & he spits it out).

i'm learning that parenting is a process. no matter how much i read or ask my mother and grandmother, it ultimately comes down to how i want to raise my child and what i think is right. they may laugh and shake their heads at me, but like them, i'm learning as i go. and hopefully like them, i will raise an intelligent, loving, caring child. i can tell you this though, it's fun watching him grow and change right before my eyes.

4 Response to 'temper tantrum'

  1. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2006/08/temper-tantrum.html?showComment=1155665520000#c115566556294021651'> Tuesday, August 15, 2006 11:12:00 AM

    Nice! I don't know what age we started getting "whoopings?" Moms put the fear of God in us though. It didn't keep us out of trouble all the time but she turned out some respectable young men with all those azz whoopings! :)I got the most because I was just way too curious about my surroundings. Peace to you sista and may God give you direction and guidance in raising that young, defiant, Black man child. :)

     

  2. Aly Cat 121 Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2006/08/temper-tantrum.html?showComment=1155841920000#c115584195101158567'> Thursday, August 17, 2006 12:12:00 PM

    My youngest is also 10 months old. And I've noticed the same temper tantrum in her too. When she gets made she throws her head backwards and kicks her legs and lets out these loud yells. For some reason it doesn't really bother me though. I may let her flop around for a second and then pick her up to see what the fuss is about. I figure she's coming into herself and who she is as a person.

     

  3. oronde ash Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2006/08/temper-tantrum.html?showComment=1155984540000#c115598454343934095'> Saturday, August 19, 2006 3:49:00 AM

    my boy was tired. this became obvious after a few minutes at the bbq. the kid didn't want to eat his mac and cheese, was antsy. i promised him we'd see "the ant bully" if he was a good boy. no luck. had to walk him away from the picnic table two or three times to hear, "yes, sir" in answer to "will you be a good boy?" a bit embarrassing. but i had to soak it in... he's watching me grow. there's that reality in there somewhere. i'm learning my 3-year old son. that's something to note too. that's their gift back to us. another life to understand.

     

  4. Xave Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2006/08/temper-tantrum.html?showComment=1156046700000#c115604670851679202'> Saturday, August 19, 2006 9:05:00 PM

    well... good luck! I'm sure you are doing fine. :-D