About Me

My photo
I am a mommy, scribe, and middle-school English teacher. I am trying to cope with being separated from my beloved. DoUWantMore? email me: theprisonerswife@gmail.com

Twitter Me This...

Subscribe to this blog

 Subscribe in a reader




Get TPW in your inbox!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Add to Technorati Favorites

Follow Me, You KNow You Wanna...

Throwback Thursdays: NY Undercover

Posted by the prisoner's wife On 10:23 AM
Throwback Thursdays: NY Undercover


I have always had a crush on New York City.

When I was 8 my family and I went to NYC with my grandparents. My grandfather, a minister, was conducting a revival at a Bronx church, and my brother and I begged my mom to let us go along. Not for church, but to see the city for ourselves. She eventually caved and we packed up for a 2 week stint in the Bronx.

I was in awe

Even the trip from the airport was an adventure. Our driver/tour guide/pastor of the Bronx church drove like a madman (or so I thought), stopping in the middle of traffic to grab us some "authentic" hot dogs from a man on the corner. The buildings seemed to climb endlessly into the sky, while the iron lion weaved through a maze of apartment buildings. For two weeks I rode around taking in the streets and sounds. I wondered if Sesame Street was real, and if so, could somebody tell me how to get to it. I was in love. And over the years my crush, my lust for the city grew stronger.

Fast forward.

1994. I was a freshman in high school, consumed by Illmatic, and dreaming of packing up and moving to New York City. I sent off for info about NYU and I instantly gravitated to shows/books/films based in the New York. After seeing ad upon ad for a new, urban who-done-it cop show about based in New York and featuring some of hip hop’s finest, I knew I had to watch.



Billed as the new-and-improved Miami Vice, NY Undercover stormed onto Thursday nights and (in my opinion) launched Fox as REAL network. This show crammed sex, drama, the city, and a banging soundtrack into one hot hour. Every Thursday night at 9, Torres and Williams helped me to explore another piece of the city.

For four years I rode shotgun from Harlem to Wall Street, exploring every seedy and siddity part of town. Risking life and limb, Eddie and JC easily morphed into drug dealers, cult members, bikers and drag queens, never failing to catch the perp (and most times a fly girl). From the theme song to the performance at Natalie's, the show had me hooked. Dressed in the latest Karl Kani, Mecca, and PNB gear, Williams and Torres made cops look cool again.

Even though NY Undercover was completely dismantled and killed in 1998, it was good while it lasted. Thanks to reruns on TVOne & Si TV, I can still ride along with the flyest detectives New York has ever seen.



Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Response to 'Throwback Thursdays: NY Undercover'

  1. Ms.Honey Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2006/06/throwback-thursdays-ny-undercover.html?showComment=1151002020000#c115100202527165143'> Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:47:00 AM

    I LOVED that show I laughed, I cried and even wanted to find Mr. Yoba and marry him LOL..I watch the reruns when I can....good post.

     

  2. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2006/06/throwback-thursdays-ny-undercover.html?showComment=1151081880000#c115108190728670839'> Friday, June 23, 2006 9:58:00 AM

    That's my show...still! I watched it last night. It was the episode about the church bombing. I liked the way the show producers would base their scripts on current events of the day. At the end of last night's show on TV One they showed a list of black church bombings that took place across the country in 1996. How soon we forget. That show takes me back to when I was running wild 10 years ago. Have a great weekend.

     

  3. M.Dot. Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2006/06/throwback-thursdays-ny-undercover.html?showComment=1151426220000#c115142622283656829'> Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:37:00 AM

    I did not even like this show when it was on. But the re-runs.

    That Uptown crack. Wow. Wait, that did not come out right.

    Anyhoo.


    You get my gist.

     

  4. oronde ash Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2006/06/throwback-thursdays-ny-undercover.html?showComment=1151465880000#c115146591317312162'> Tuesday, June 27, 2006 8:38:00 PM

    no other spot in the world like it. go anywhere, say you from nyc and instant cred. there's build-in expectations. what do you expect from nyc-t'ers?

     

  5. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2006/06/throwback-thursdays-ny-undercover.html?showComment=1151501160000#c115150118386712195'> Wednesday, June 28, 2006 6:26:00 AM

    i still watch sometimes on TV1...who can forget thursdays...martin then ny undercova...you'd tell people, i'll call you back in 1hr

     

  6. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2006/06/throwback-thursdays-ny-undercover.html?showComment=1151557080000#c115155709812562208'> Wednesday, June 28, 2006 9:58:00 PM

    Honey & Bless...yes, the show IS dope.

    lol@wanting to marry Malik Yoba...i think you will have to fight my hair stylist. she has the illest crush on him.

    Evil: sis...the show IS uptown crack. kinda like jerk chicken patties & coco bread from Golden Krust lol

    Camille: i gotta admit, Torres had the flava (despite his moves in MJ's "Beat It" video lol)

    Byg: i have always loved the swagger of the city. such a vivrant thang


    sarcastik: maaaaaaan....the black shows (NY undercover, Martin, Living Single) put Fox on the map.