About Me

My photo
I am a mommy, scribe, and middle-school English teacher. I am trying to cope with being separated from my beloved. DoUWantMore? email me: theprisonerswife@gmail.com

Twitter Me This...

Subscribe to this blog

 Subscribe in a reader




Get TPW in your inbox!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Add to Technorati Favorites

Follow Me, You KNow You Wanna...

Don't Matter Who Did What To Who At This Point

Posted by the prisoner's wife On 7:37 PM


Listening to President's Obama's speech today, made we instantly think of Slim Charles' reaction to Stringer Bell's death in the Wire. In this episode, Bell is cut down in a hail of bullets because of his shady business dealings amid a drug war between the Barksdale and Marlow crews. Although Bells death has nothing to do with Marlow, and everyting to do with his compadre Barksdale, Slim Charles recognizes that the war, however misguided, will wage on.

Litening to President Obama chastise the Bush administration's blatant disregard for the rule of law and practice of torture of detainees at Guantanamo Bay, while asserting that he too will, in essence, sidestep the law through "continued prolonged detention" of detainees that pose a threat even though the evidence does not warrant prosecution, was sort of mind-blowing. Yes, I understand some of the detaines pose a threat, but to assert that you're going to uphold the law & our moral standing in the world, while holding people indefinitely seems like some slick double-talk.

I like President Obama. I feel more hopeful with him in office, but I do expect more. I know he's in a tough spot. I know closing Gitmo and finidng a safe and sensible soulutin to this issue of dealing with terror suspects will not be easy, but I'm a bit disheartened. I know that this situation is extremely complexand probably can't simply be solved by "doing the right thing," but I wish that someone would just step up and make those tough choices.

What do you think?

4 Response to 'Don't Matter Who Did What To Who At This Point'

  1. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/05/dont-matter-who-did-what-to-who-at-this.html?showComment=1243108595881#c636480541990622716'> Saturday, May 23, 2009 12:56:00 PM

    Politics aside....

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

     

  2. http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/05/dont-matter-who-did-what-to-who-at-this.html?showComment=1243108645313#c7680215430383077300'> Saturday, May 23, 2009 12:57:00 PM

    LOL, thanks Babz!

     

  3. christina Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/05/dont-matter-who-did-what-to-who-at-this.html?showComment=1243223919985#c1646064118986754979'> Sunday, May 24, 2009 8:58:00 PM

    You know, I was sitting on the train the other day and I looked in my calendar, feeling like I forgot something. I thought of you and said out loud- OMG I forgot my girls, born day!!

    Politics, politics, they will be there, but I had to stop by and wish you a happy born day, with lots of hugs and prayers sent your way!! You want another garlic press? Or are we on to a new hobby?
    I love you, sis. Blessing.
    : )

     

  4. CiCiWryter Said,
    http://theprisonerswife.blogspot.com/2009/05/dont-matter-who-did-what-to-who-at-this.html?showComment=1243357521864#c8446690125186314704'> Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:05:00 AM

    Yeah it's like he's offering the kinder, gentler version of prolonged detention but at this point, what are his options? I'm sure he's weighing doing what is ideally/legally/morally right v. what may ensure that he is not the pres burdened w/ the legacy of releasing someone who can't be prosecuted but still makes good on a threat to U.S. citizen's. Plus we expect so much from him but so much has gone unchallenged from previous administrations. The 'All is fair in war and love' theme continues. No one wins though.